Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yani

Yani (so)... I kept hearing people say "yani" so I caught my language teacher off guard today and asked her "shoe yani?" (what yani?) and it means "so." Yah, I don't know why you need to know that, but anyways... Language learning is difficult.

I have a new teacher this week. It is interesting to see the different styles of both. I can laugh alot more at myself with my new one, but at the same time, I think she gave up on me today, when after 5 times I still could not say "gayn" (at least that is the closest I can type it) It requires a gargling noise. And there is also a simmilar letter with a sharper gargle "Gayn." So to say the least I am stuggling a little. But what can I be thankful for here? Let's see...I have a book with dvd that I can listen to to practice (which I have done for 2 hours a day for the last week pretty much). I have a teacher for 12 hours a week to spend one on one time with me learning the language. I have a roomate, who is 6 months ahead of me in language to help when I get stuck, and in the mean time while I am still learning, I do have most signs written in English for me in my city. And, of course there is what I hear my mom saying in my head, "you can do hard things!"

Yani, the apartment is coming along. We have curtains and have arranged the rooms a little better now. We have a washer which takes only an hour and a half to wash a load, which I hear is good, cause my roomate's old one took 3 hours. It is so humid here that I finally gave up on my clothes drying after I had hung them up for 2 days! The interesting thing is that in the midst of all the humidity that this chalk-fine dust collects everywhere! I mean, you can't even lean against the wall or a door without getting it on you. I guess I am going to have to learn better posture and not to lean. :)

1 comment:

A Little Water said...

laura,

i hope you are doing great! it was wonderful to read your update and your blog too. although, please post some pictures as soon as you can. i am lifting up the lang. time and i know you can do well. study, study, study.

much love