Friday, November 14, 2008

Who are you and who am I?

This week, we spent on anthropology, worldviews, and finally who we were as individuals. I learned a lot about the people I will be working with and how they think and process information and their environment. There really is a reason why they do what they do, even if it seems weird at first to us Westerns!

We all took the Myers-Briggs test and I am an ISTJ, as I predicted, although I am not extreme in any area. This stands for Introvert, Sensing, Thinking, and Judging (as opposed to extrovert, intuition, feeling, perceiving). This means I am responsible, dependable, practical, realistic (I get that from mom), and objective and logical, calm, orderly, prefer facts over ideas, detailed, accurate, and an organizer (agendas-though I get from dad!). I can relate to the president of the company--if I get something done today that was not on my list, I have to write it on the list so that I can mark it off! They had a list off all the prayers for the people of the different categories, and mine is "Lord, help me to relax about insignificant details beginning tomorrow at 11:41:23 AM EST." LOL :)

So, I am learning who I am and who the people are that I will be working with all so that we can communicate and work together better. One tip I got today was to take advantage of the first 2 weeks I am in country to make mistakes and be the tourist, the people are more lenient in the beginning. In the past, I think I have been too afraid that I would do something offensive in new cultures, so I was afraid to do much. But now I know that my first week I need to do everything! That way I can get all my mistakes over with, or at least several while the people are more forgiving! So, I need to overcome my introversion and DIVE IN!

2 comments:

Jaclyn.... said...

I remember those days... :)

I am a ESFP (i think)

ecoppedge said...

Thinking of you and i'm enjoying your blog. Mema