Monday, April 13, 2009

Good Ideas and Random Thoughts Come All At Once

So after 2 weeks of not knowing what to update you, I thought of some things today to share, forgive the randomness: Mosquitoes, Driving, and Strawberries!

Mosquitoes
I take after my mom, in that mosquitoes love me! And mosquito season started about 3 weeks ago here. They are worse at night, so I have this "zapper," aka Glade Plugin that supposedly keeps mosquitoes at bay, while I sleep. But it has not been doing as good of a job as I would like, so I am sleeping with long sleeves, now, so that the bites are contained to my wrists and face. But if I forget and stick a foot out of the comforter, I wake up to bites the next morning on my feet! I whelp up bad from mosquito bites, and looking at my wrists, I know I have had some of these bumps for over two weeks!

So you know our house, has bad airflow, right? So if air can't get in, how can mosquitoes? Great question! During the day, we have to air out the house. And I was determined that they came in during the day, just to haunt us at night, but I am thinking their brains are too small to think ahead like that. We have lots of windows and doors, and if you forget and leave a window cracked after sunset, then its over, we will have mosquitoes all night!

In fact, as I write this I have had to get us twice to chase this big one that is teasing me!

Driving
Everyone says that traffic and driving overseas is crazy and dangerous. And well, my country is no exception. I have gotten so used to walking in front of traffic to cross the street that I am scared to show my parents around here, cause I know my mom is going to yell at me for crossing the street with traffic coming, but that is normal here.

Today, in a taxi, I was thinking of how boring driving in America is. You follow all the rules, and obey all the signs. Coming back from a retreat in the mountains, I was with 3 national college guys, and the driver told me that I should bring some American policemen over, because of all the crazy drivers here. I agreed, but said I did not think it would help any. And, no lie, less than 2 minutes later, what did the driver do? He ran a red light! There are not many lights here, cause what is the point, if no one obeys them, but still we got honked at by the opposing traffic. The rest of the guys in the car gave him a hard time, so this was obviously not an acceptable running of a red light. He just did not see the light; which considering how few there are here, could you blame him for not noticing? If the American policemen that he wanted, were here, he would have gotten a big ticket! Can't have it all, right?

Strawberries~
Angel food cake, strawberries, and cool whip is my favorite dessert, ever! And today, I bought strawberries for $1 here. I have never gotten them for so cheap in the States! There are almost overripe, but I am not going to complain...just gotta eat them faster. No cake or cool whip, but still, very good!

Oh, and yes, I do soak my fruits and vegetables in a bleach water bath before I enjoy them. (inside joke: I am just washing the strawberries!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how is the search for a new apartment going?

Kendra said...

I need to get you a mosquito zapper - it looks like a little tennis raquet and it literally zaps the mosquitos - makes for fun and happy hunting :) Many people in the south use them - i'm actually scared of them, but maybe i'll get you one :)