Friday, April 17, 2009

A day without weird looks!

So today (it must be in honor of my dad's 50th birthday), I did not get any weird looks from strangers. Sounds like something odd to celebrate right? But I am so excited! I picked up some manache (fresh bread with cheese or spices)and a donut for a friend today. I ordered all in Arabic, and they understood me! It scared me that they did not have to repeat what I ordered, and I crossed my fingers that I had communicated correctly. And I got what I ordered! LHUMDILILLA! (thanks to God)

Then I bought bananas and clementine oranges from a street vendor's cart, which was a first, but I needed fruit and he was on my way home from school. I got 1/4 of a kilo (just over 1/2 LB) of each, and you know what? He didn't give me a second look either, but got me exactly what I asked for LHUMDILILLIA, again!

Going Native! Three months of language are paying off!

No comments: