Tuesday, February 24, 2009

what have I done that is blogworthy?....SHOP

So, I have not forgot about the blog, but I have had a hard time, thinking of what of my life this past week is blog-worthy. I have officially been here for 6 weeks now! So, lets talk about shopping, cause just cause I moved overseas, doesn't mean I gave up this pastime!

Shopping Here
  • Like Europe, the sales here are only twice a year, and all the stores have the sales at the same time. February and August are the sales months. We actually talked about this in our International Business class in college, but our angle was that a foreigner doing international business, you could encounter problems if you tried to have a sale that was not during the "sale season."
  • As a bargain hunter, I am having to get all my shopping done this month, cause otherwise I will have to wait 6 more months to shop!
  • My neighborhood has mostly higher end stores, but I have found one place that is more comparable to a Ross, so I have gotten several shirts there!
  • Shopping is great language practice! I am practicing asking how much? and Do you have this in black? And of course, you can listen to the others that are shopping too!
  • Like anything else here, you can pay with US Dollars, you will just get the national currency back in change! Not as many places here take cards, (no offense America, but it is a little ridiculous that we use our cards at Sonic's DriveThru) so I carry bigger US Dollars than I ever did at home! And you def. practice your math skills, cause not only do you have to take a percent off, you have to convert currencies!
  • Although there is less of a variety of sizes than the US (for the most part, the clothing here is much smaller) there is a much greater variety from sluty to ultra conservative! This def. makes this country much different than the rest of the region. But it is nice that conservative clothes are in abundance and are made to be cute!
  • Style is very important here! I am having fun, wearing stuff that I know I would not wear in the US, as far as styles go, but I get complements when I go with the new styles. It is fun to try new things!
  • For example, skinny jeans and tall boots... It seems every girl from 13-45 wears skinny jeans tucked into a stylish pair of tall black boots! Do I own a pair of boots tall enough to do this, or a pair of jeans skinny enough? No, but it is def. growing on me. Even my language tutor who covers her head wears skinny jeans tucked into a pair of black boots! But when I am used to American bootcut jeans, even if I got a pair of boots, my jeans would not fit in them, without puckering alot...see I have seriously considered this! Gotta join in the culture right?
  • Stores in my city, that you may know: Aldo, Clarks, Nautica, Puma, Yves Rocher, (my minds seems to have blanked, but I think there are more!)
Sorry this was a girly post, but can you blame me?

4 comments:

Jaclyn.... said...

i've been shopping for skinny jeans here so i can do that!!!
But i havent found any skinny jeans that will fit over my not so skinny hips! :)

Steve Coppedge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Coppedge said...

You're still the same whether here or there... Gotta find multiple justifications to support your habit/hobby... SHOPPING! Hope you find lots of bargains!

annbnagy said...

Let me know how that skinny jean thing goes. I don't know what the ladies look like there but I was always convinced that the only people that can do the skinny jean thing are those that are extremely thin. I have tried them on before and immediately took them off! hope to see a picture if you do it.