Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fairouz

I have a new language tutor who is amazing. One of my homework assignments, was to learn a song, by the infamous Fairouz. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairouz) My roomate and I tried to come up with an American equivalent to Fairouz, but failed. She could be the Johnny Cash, Madonna, Sinatra all in one of the Middle East.

My teacher transcribed one of her songs for me, with blanks that I was supposed to fill in. I listened to the song at least a dozen times, and still could not read her writing and figure out where she was singing from. Can you imagine learning a new song in another language? Especially when they hold some words out longer than others!

Well, I finally cheated and got some help from a national speaker who informed me which parts were repeated and were the refrain! Which helped so much!

Next week, I get to do a Demke (dance) song! I like the Demke music because it is the closest to country music here, and the dance is very similar to country line dancing.

http://www.babulous.com/community.jhtml?community_id=189
If would want to hear the song I learned this week, go to this link. Select the song: "Akher Ayam Al Syfya." And use the controls in the banner at the top of this page. Hope it works.

Oh, and in case you want to know what the song is about. She is sad that the summer is over, and uhh, well that is the most I have for now, something about how they can't drive their car to their favorite spot anymore now.

Enjoy

No comments: